Kids and money

It is really funny how the kids have seemed to have grown a bit since they have gotten their own money. Usually they are wanting to just buy candy.

A few weeks ago Lindsey was saving for a day camp. We told her she would have to pay for $25 of the $75. When she got her overdue allowance she looked at her money and decided the day camp wasn't worth it to her. We were actually relieved as the $50 from us could be put into a whole family outing. She agreed that was better.

Today we went to pick out a birthday gift for a friend of Lindsey's and all the kids took their money. Journey and Katie had been eyeing these glitter balls. Quite cool things, but $8! I didn't think they were worth it. I have decided to give guidance but not tell them that they can't buy something. It is theirs and if they "waste" it, then they learn.

Dejah knew what she wanted she wanted to make a special dessert for the family. I thought it was really cool she wanted to spend her money on everyone. Lindsey wanted a NERF gun. Journey and Katie, well those balls were in their heads. Bryan only knew if everyone else was getting something he wanted something too.

So we spent time looking at EVERYTHING!!!!! We were there 2 hours! They each went through the checkout lane themselves and paid and got change back. It was fun to see them spend their own money. Not that I would have spent the money they did, how they did. I made sure that the item was HOW they wanted to spend it. For Lindsey, the NERF gun was going to be more fun than the day camp. She KNEW, the family outing would be more fun and that girls camp NEXT summer (I am feeling OLD) would more than make up for a 5th grade camp.

I was THROUGHLY disappointed in Bryan's pick, it was broken before we got on the freeway home. I'll take it back. I can't see how he broke it that fast. When we got home, I asked for his toy, well the part that was still intact. He didn't want to give it to me, he asked "Why?". I told him it is broken, his reply "I don't care. vrmmmmm". He's easy to please. I guess they all are, two balls, dessert fixings and a nerf gun oh and a broken motorcycle.

Comments

Tami said…
Good for you. I am always amazed at how my kids spend their own money. Tyler will give his last cent to see someone else smile. He is so generous. I love watching so many different character traits develop as they spend their own money.
Marilee said…
Money, money, money

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil