Simpler times

This week Lindsey blamed bad eye sight on chemicals in the air. Scott made a great assessment. He is good at that! He is definately a thinker. Scott said "I bet it is everything we have to read". Now, my girls are serious readers and love to read at night with reading lights. He had to clarify a few things to ease their thoughts.

We read A LOT. Scott said, if you think about it there are words EVERYWHERE! Street signs, bill boards, gauges on our cars, license plates...we are bombarded when we are out driving. Not to mention going to the store. I was standing in an isle at Wal Mart the other day with my new glasses on and thinking there were TOO MANY choices. My head was hurting! Too many words jumping from the products into my mind. I was swimming. It hit me, life was so simple way back when.

back in simple times, when everyone grew their own food, minus the trip to the general store to pick up the flour and sugar. Talk about EASY! Okay, maybe not EASY. Just easy on the eyes and brain. What would it be like to have less stuff to strain the eyes? I wonder if plowing the field with a mule and hoe was easy on the eyes. Focusing on some point at the end of the row hopeing you get it straight. Sounds stressful on the eyes.

Would I want to trade my glasses and my words and signs for "simpler" times? I'm not sure. I'm not ready to try it either. Of course Scott could be way off on his assessment. Simpler times could be fun, but I'm not ready to give up my running water and flushing toilet. Plus in simpler times, could they see any better? Or did they just not realize they couldn't see?

Thanks for the moment of insanity....back to reality, I think. :)

Comments

Tami said…
I have been thinking about that lately. I am reading "The Poisonwood Bible." A long book, but it definitely causes me to rethink the way I see the world around me. In Africa, in the Congo in the 60's, people basically had one outfit. Just one, and there were holes in them, and they still wore them. It makes me rethink my closet.

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil