Happy Birthday Journey!!




Looking back to that day 5yrs ago, I get teary eyed. My pregnancy with her was HORRIBLE! I was throwing up through 23wks, then shortly after that I became sick. I was later diagnosed with crohn's diease. I was on 30+ pills aday. Every time I would wean off prednisone, my symptoms would return. I had vericose veins up inside and wore brace to help the pressure not be so bad. I had gestational diabetes, brough ton by the prednisone. I had UTIs from a leaky bladder and the brace I had to wear. I couldn't heal because of the prednisone. I was contracting for months and really struggling.

I was being watched very carefully. I had ultrasounds and non-stress tests weekly for the last month (I delievered a month early). They were worried about my baby. We decided for my health and the baby's we needed to induce. I went in on an evening and apparenlty I was in early labor, so they didn't have to give me pitocin. They broke my water. Things progressed slowly as I walked the hospital.

I remember stopping to ask my OB if he thought I could do this again. He was/is LDS and spoke from both perspectives, a doctor and a high counselor. He said he honestly didn't know how I had made it this far (36wks). He said with the diagnosis of crohn's and how my body reacted during pregnancy he doubted I could go through this again. He doubted my body would keep a baby.

AS the labor progressed I recieved an epidural and it was the best I had. I can say honestly, I had no pain! I felt some pressure, but no pain. It was wonderful. I remember seeing a person with german chocolate cake on my walk around the hospital I literally drooled over it. My sweet doctor went to the cafeteria and got me a slice so I could have it after I delivered. The gestational diabetes posed no risk to the Journey after she was born after all.

Journey Elizabeth came into the world on the 25th at 2:23AM weighing 7lbs 11oz. She was perfect for having had gone through what she did in my belly. SHe obviously was a wee bit big for a 36 weeker. Not long after her birth she started gaging and inhaled it into her lungs. The nurses were worried and took her to NICU. There they watched her and discovered what they thought was a heart murmur. She recieved a blessing and the next day, the nurse was proved wrong. Journey came home with me.

She was still experiencing the gagginess and we delt with that the best we could. Had to clean the carpets a lot. She did out grow that after several months. She was my only baby not breastfed. I could not breast feed with the medicine I was taking. With her gagginess, I'm sure I would have had to supplement anyway.

To this day she is perfect! She is such a sweet little girl. She is full of love and compassion. When Jesus said we should be like a little child, I think of her. She is so quick to forgive. I am so gratful she has been intrusted in my care.

Here is a link to some birth pictures and some of her first year.
http://journeyis5.shutterfly.com/

Comments

Marilee said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOURNEY!!!!!
Marla said…
She was a beautiful baby! I have always loved her name.
Anonymous said…
Loved the story and the pics . . . Happy Birthday Miss Journey! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil