Traditions

Dejah had to do a little report on Family traditions. I was thinking really hard about what kinds of traditions we have. I had a difficult time thinking about what we do over and over again, that could be called a tradition.

The only one I could think of was our Christmas stockings. Starting with our first Chirstmas together way back in 1995 (way back...someday that will be true). We made our stockings and decorated them with felt pieces. Pieces we cut and designed ourselves. We did so for each child too (well we bought Lindsey's stocking). Each one we tried to make special to their birth or something about them. Some were harder than others. Lindsey has a palm tree with bells. SHe was born in Hawaii. Katie has a temple...she was born soon after the Columbia River Temple was dedicated. Bryan has more boy stuff, trains. Journey's has a puppy...it was her favorite stuffed animal. She still ahs it. Dejah has puzzle pieces.

I think our most important stocking that we have made is the one that has JESUS written on it. Each Christmas Eve we all write on a piece of paper something we want to GIVE Jesus. The little kids would draw a picture or have us write on the paper. Things have been like "I'll be nicer to my sisters", "I will listen to my mom", "I will read the Scriptures more", "I will say my personal prayers", or "I'll do my chores without being asked". It is fun. THis year, I pulled out last years. It is fun to think about how we want to be better and strive to improve ourselves. What better gift can we give our Savior than constant improvement.

I guess some of our other traditions are, church attendance, eating dinner as a family (even if we wait for dad till 7:30), reading scriptures together,and family prayer. They don't have to be big things. Traditions are things that bring the family together.

Merry Christmas!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil