I'm beat!

Last night we had our Enrichment meeting where my group did some alternative cooking methods. It turned out well!

My friend Cindy and my mom helped with the cooking and clean up. I could not have done it without them. We did two desserts, Zuchinini Brownies (weight wathcers), and a chocolate cherry dump cake. A mock lasagna and teriyaki chicken with rice. Not to mention all the salads that were brought. OH I left there SO full it wasn't even funny!

Our methods of cooking you ask? Three Apple Box ovens, 1 dutch oven and an wonder box. All but the wonder box uses charcoal.

We had trouble with the charcoal first getting it started, then keeping the food hot. There was a good breeze which is GREAT for cooling us off, but it does the same with the charcoal. The dutch oven did fine (teriyaki chicken) which is what I was most worried about.

Supposedly each Kingsford bricket adds 35* tot he apple box oven, thus if you use 10 you can keep a 350* temp. Well, last night it didn't work that way. Our temps in the apple boxes were not maintaining 350* they were closer to 210-250*. That really takes along time to cook. Overall it turned out well. It took much longer to cook though.

The wonder box, this is an interesting contraption. I first boiled the rice at home and put the pan in the "box" and let it work it's magic. I figure it was in there for about 2.5hrs. I think it was too long. The rice at the bottom was mushy. I didn't realize it would over cook. I'm not sure WHY I thought that. It will definitely take practice. I made rice in it on Sunday and it was fine, it was only in there about an hour though. So Practice Practice!

I have lots of left over rice and mock lasagna. Oh and dump cake. I'm trying to be good, but oh that is mighty tasty stuff. Also, the mock lasagna was made with homemade mozzarella cheese and ricotta, using powdered milk. I tried to incorporated as much of the things we had learned in class as possible. I'll have to post the cheese another time.

Here are the recipes I used:



Teriyaki chicken
4lbs chicken in cubes
1 bottle of KC Masterpiece honey teriyaki sauce

Cook in Dutch oven for hour and half
_______________________________________________

Mock Lasagna (my creation)

8oz noodles (I used Ziti) (cooked)
1 jar sauce
1cup homemade ricotta
1 batch homemade mozzarella (dry milk)
Parmesan cheese
1 ½ t. Parsley
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
fresh spinach

mix ricotta, half of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and egg together.

Assemble: Put a bit of sauce on bottom of cake pan, to prevent sticking, layer noodles, , cheese mixture, spinach (use as little or as much as you want) and sauce. Alternating until you have used it all add mozzarella cheese on top. Cover and bake about 30 minutes at 350*


JEN'S CHOCOLATE CHERRY DUMP CAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

2 cans of cherry pie filling (21 ounces each)
1 box of chocolate cake mix
2 sticks of butter, sliced into 12 pieces each
2.25 ounce bag of chopped pecans
1/8 cup white sugar
This recipe is so easy and so delicious... a twist on regular dump cake.
Preheat the over to 350.
In a 9 x 13 cake pan:
Dump the 2 cans of cherry pie filling into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the box of chocolate cake mix evenly on top of that. Distribute the butter slices on top of the cake mix. Spread the pecans evenly over the butter and cake mix. Finally, sprinkle the sugar over all.
Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes and serve warm!
This is also delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Submitted by: Jen Chitwood

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, most definitely they are different and usually MUCH harder to train than girls. Those new diapers where they actually FEEL the wetness might be a help, but with many boys that won't phase them:-). I've used the jelly bean trick--where you reward them when they are successful in the toilet. It's bad parenting, but it's good training:-). At night, it can REALLY take boys longer to get it. And it's most useful when DAD can be doing most of the training so they can be LIKE dad.

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil