Smarter than a Fifth Grader?

Last night I attended Fifth Grade Parent Teacher Night. First, I can't believe I have a fifth grader!!! Where did time go? Second, I learned something myself last night!

the whole evening was dedicated to letting us parents know how the spelling system is going to go. I got there a few minutes late and doen't know the name of the new system. It has something to do with grouping. Some words are CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant), otheres CVVC, some have a "e" at the end and so on. So they are trying to get the kids to group the words in groups to learn how they are really spelled.

It was interesting they put up words like digestable, expressable, credible, edible and asked us to figure out why certian words had ABLE and others had IBLE. There was a whole page of these words. I was looking and trying to figure it out. I hate puzzles. THEN it hit me! The words with ABLE are words WITHOUT the ABLE! The IBLE words are NOT words. Digest and Express versus Cred and Ed (okay this one can be a name ;) ) The rule is true on the whole list. I was impressed! I was the one who figured it out and had the guts to tell the teacher what the commonality was. LOL!

We then went to the classroom and met with the teacher of our child. I looked around the room and saw a group of "timelines" on the wall. I spotted Lindsey's immediately. Her's was the most colorful and when I went up and looked it was the most detailed. She is a good girl and I am proud of her. I like her teacher and think Lindsey will be challenged this year. She is very smart and creative and I think she needs to be challenged. I read some of her writing last night from class and I was impressed she used commas properly even.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil