Renaissance women

My mom and I were going to make an hour trip in my van. My "check engine" light came on. Now, my van is 13yrs old it is bound to have issues, right? The onter night my oil light came on. Not a good sign. It took it to get an oil change and the oil was FULL. So yes, my van has issues.

I didn't have any promptings that I shouldn't make the trip or there really was anything wrong with the van. I did however have lots of "what if" thoughts. What if the van did die and we were stuck an hour away. I thought "who would I call?" My mom was with me, Scott is in Austin. So It hought I would call my friend Heather. Then I thought, how would I get the van back home? So I figured I would get the suburban and the trailer and get the van on the trailer. Hmmm, how long is my van? Okay, so I ran all this through my head in about 3 mintues then related it to my mom. She was shocked.

A few minutes later she paid me a great compliment. She said "You realy are self reliant." I let that settle in my brain for the next two hours. I then asked her what she meant. She told me I had "growed up well". I'm not afraid to try things that some might think is for men or whatever. She and I have taken our trailer and picked up furniture. She said a lot of women wouldn't do that. I hadn't every hooked up the trailer, only seen it done. I think she forgot the time I was trying for a long time to back the trailer up in her driveway. Finally I saw a guy get out of a truck with a horse trailer on the back and asked him to finish my job. Took him about 90 seconds. ROFL! I know my limits too.

Tonight, I started thinking about other women in my life that are the same way. I sure do enjoy their company! My friends, Heather and Alicia, are very much the same. Both will shoot rifles. I prefer handguns, personally. Heather even shot a BEAR once! They aren't afraid to mow the lawn or dig in the dirt. Painting and redoing furniture is no biggie! I admire both of them. It is good to have good friends!

Comments

The Lindsays said…
Thanks for the compliment, Shelley! I just always look at how dependent my mom has always been on my dad and I don't want to be like that. I want McKay and I to feel equally responsible for all things in our lives. Plus, I think that if anything should happen to McKay(I SURE hope it doesn't) I would be able to function and continue to take care of our family.

Good for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil