A thank you to the past.

A few years ago, while living in Washington I came across a listing in our phone book for a very unusual last name. It happened to be the same last name as one of the sister missionaries that taught my brother and I. I will talk to anyone, so I thought I had nothing to lose so I gave the number a call. I asked them if they had a sister or daughter that served a mission in Milipitas /San Jose area in 1982. To my delight I got a resounding, "why yes, I do have a daughter who served there at that time". I spoke with him for a while. I never heard from his daughter, I'm not sure if he lost my number or not.

While in Idaho over Thanksgiving I decided to give it another shot. I was hoping she would be there for the holiday. In my internet search I found his wife had died in October. I realized that more than likely I would not catch my missionary at home for the holidays. I left a message and asked him to contact her and ask her to contact me.

I had been contiplating the things I am thankful for. The gospel is one at the top, after my family. Without the gospel in my life I would be somewhere else I am certain. Definately NOT in Utah. Okay that wasn't really what I meant. I would not have the strong values and strength I have now. I doubt I would have the testimony of Jesus Christ I have now. I would not be sealed to my husband for eternity. I would not know where I came from or where I am headed. I might have even been divorced, or not had any children.

I have been so blessed in my life by my Father in Heaven and my elder brother, Jesus Christ. I am loved. I know about the attonement and how it applies to me. I have felt it's power in my life. I have the Gift of the Holy Ghost and strive to have him as a constant companion.

My parents were members when I was born, I was even blessed in the church. Although, I did not go to Primary until AFTER the missionaries found my family again after my parents divorced. I vaguely remember the Sisters that taught me. I do remember a game they played with us. It was about the plan of salvation. We called it by the name of the sister that brought it.

Friday, night when our family (extended) were gathered in the living room at my in-laws the phone rang. My mother in law asked if anyone knew a ----- ------. At first I didn't know, who it was, then it hit me! It was the missionary that taught me! We talked for almost an hour and half. It was such a treat to be able to talk to her. She has 7 kids and lives on 24 acres in Missouri and is about as self sufficient as one can get. I was in awe!

Seems I have made a new friend out of an old one. I was 7 when I first met her, here 26yrs later we became friends.

Comments

Marilee said…
Cool! I'm glad you found your sister missionary!!!! Neat!

Popular posts from this blog

Facial cellulitis

Goodbye Nala (graphic warning)

Brazil